.

Weekend Colour

I took the opportunity to get an aerial view of the garden whilst I was cleaning the back windows earlier today - as I stood back, not literally or else I would have fallen from the steps, I realised how happy I am with my back garden this year.  It's hard to believe that 2 and a half years ago it was a blank canvas.



Since ridding my garden with most of the time wasters earlier this year, I find that I can truly appreciate how good a plant looks when it's thriving.  I am so glad that I got brutal!  I no longer feel the need to move things around to see if it will cope in another spot.  I don't consider myself experienced enough to offer much advice but if there was one piece of advice I would give any new gardener it would be - Plant for the situation.  Choose plants suitable for your environment.  A struggling plant isn't a pleasure!  Take it from me, I've learnt the hard way.  If there is one piece of advice you could give a new gardener, what would it be?

Let's take a closer look at what's doing well in my garden this weekend.  The first 3 are flowering for a second time this year, having benefited from a general tidy up after their first blooms they have rewarded my with another flush of flowers.     



Geranium endressii Wargrave's Pink


Geum Dingle Apricot
Nepeta Six Hills Giant


The long border, which I am now calling 'The Bee Garden'' is positively swarming with bees, hoverflies and butterflies.  I don't really have a scheme or theme going on in this border except for the fact that most of the plants have been chosen to attract beneficial insects.   There are lots of plants crammed in here, I consider my garden a bit too small to plant in drifts and I do like the 'shoehorned' effect!  I seem to be developing an aversion to seeing bare soil.



 We've got Veronicastrum, Monarda, Daylilies and lots more - join me for a closer look

Veronicastrum viginicum Roseum, Monarda Croftway Pink, Cirsium surrounding
Phsocarpus Lady in Red (Coppertina for those in the states)  
  
Monarda Prairie Night and white tailed bumblebee


Potentilla nepalensis Ron Mcbeath - bumblebee and hoverfly



Clematis Peppermint - not so prolific as it has been in previous years




Verbena Bonariensis
Verbena bonariensis, loved by bees and butterflies - grows as an annual here in my garden.  I
have read in numerous places that this self seeds readily, alas - not here!


Geraniu x antipodeum Chocolate Candy
A couple of hardy cranesbill have been flowering all summer, both very similar in colour but quite different in growth habit.  It's difficult to capture how lovely they look.  Both require full sun for best foliage colour.
Geranium x antipodeum Pink Spice
 
 
 
Hemerocallis Crimson Pirate



Hemerocallis Pink Damask
 
Scabiosa Beaujolais Bonnets
a must for any wildlife garden
Allium schaerocephalon another must for any
wildlife garden


Phlox paniculata Violet Flame
a shorter growing Phlox that flowers earlier than others here in my garden



Erigeron - flowering all summer


Cynara cardunculus
The first flower is opening on my giant Cardoon - I love it!!  Easily reaching beyond 7ft this year and has at least 20 buds to open.  Probably considered far to big for a garden small as mine - there is no way I would do without this in my garden.  It usually flowers a wee bit later here in Scotland and can succumb to the winds in September - not this year, conditions are perfect and I've not had to rush out to offer up last minute support (yet!)



Buddleja davidii Empire Blue
 
 
Buddleja, hoverfly(?) and peacock butterfly

This buddleja has now outgrown it's spot in my garden, I knew it would and have only ever considered it to be a temporary resident until the surrounding shrubs mature enough to fill the gap. I really need to reconsider and find it another home elsewhere!


Escallonia Iveyi (AGM)
Cornus alternifolia Argentea (AGM) and Dianthus Valda Wyatt

Dianthus Valda Wyatt grows comfortably at the base of my favourite shrub.  A Silver pagoda dogwood.  Still very small but will someday make a beautiful statement in my garden.

Nepeta Blue Danube


As we move up to the top end of the garden, it's hard to believe that this border was almost devoid of any plants this time last year.  Lots were lost due to flooding.  Planting out with moisture loving plants last August/September - I expected a lot of them to toil with the lack of rain this year but thankfully, they seem to be coping.   The white Astilbe Deutschland, doesn't really fit in and will find a new home elsewhere in autumn.




A new honeysuckle (Lonicera Fragrant Cloud) has been added this year.  I used some large stone to raise the soil level in this corner, I'm hoping that should sort out any flooding, should it reoccur.      

Across the way, continuing the hot colour scheme but minus the orange and yellow crocosmia I tore out last year, a mature clump of Persicaria and Helenium need a yellow companion but I know not what yet!!   

Hot bed and sun lovers growing in containers on the deck steps
Clematis Voluceau

I've chose a purple Clematis to scramble up the rose that grows against the shed.   It's still small but I like how it looks against the orange.



Persicaria and Helenium


Persicaria amplexicaulis J S Caliente


Helenium Moerheim Beauty 


Sedum telephium Purple Emperor (AGM) and bumblebee
Whilst I advocate choosing plants suitable for conditions in the ground.  It is worthwhile knowing that some plants can and will be just as happy in containers if you want to give them a go.  Sedum are one group of plants that doesn't cope well in the borders in my garden and suffer what I believe is root rot.  I've had reasonable success keeping them in containers.  I don't mind making the extra effort for the insects.  This year I've chose to give some Lavender and Eryngium a go - I've used a good quality John Innes based compost with some grit added to aid drainage.  Whilst I foresee no issues this year, how well they come through winter will tell me if they are keepers or not!    


Lavendula angustifolia Hidcote  (AGM)
Eryngium bourgatii Graham Stuart Thomas
In another container is Agapanthus - I bought a bare root plant 3 years ago, just to give it a try.  Each year it has increased in bulk and always puts out plenty of foliage, until this year that is!  It was supposed to be a deep blue - not that it matters, it has flowered.  I love it when my effort is rewarded. 


Agapanthus (African Lily)
   

5 Agapanthus flowers
I received a couple of pots of Leucanthemum Victorian Secret as a gift a few weeks ago.  Unlike the tall ones, which more often than not collapse in a heap, these are quite short and seem sturdy enough.  They are in pots, flanking either side of the path.   As you can see already attracting visitors!

Leucanthemum Victorian Secret and Small Tortioseshell Butterfly
In my Sempervivum and Sedum trough - Sedum Chocolate Ball and a sempervivum are about to flower.


Down by the pond foliage provides most of the colour at the moment.  The Hostas have struggled at bit this year 


  

Cotinus Dusky Maiden, Stachys Wisley White and Alchemilla erythropoda flowering 



Hosta Devon Green and Bog Pimpernel in the pond


Astilbe Red Sentinel
Veronica spicata Heidekind
Thalictrum actaefolium Perfume Star
 I hope you've enjoyed your wee stroll around my garden - tell me, are you as happy with your garden this summer as I am?  Enjoy the week ahead!