.

End of Month View July 2014

My garden has been a tad neglected this last week or so.  I've been thoroughly enjoying the TV coverage of the Commonwealth Games.  I'd have loved to have got tickets to attend some of the events but my working day and other commitments just doesn't allow.   The home countries have all done tremendously well thus far and all teams from the UK have exceeded their medal expectations.  I know it's not gardening but for those that might not have seen coverage, a wee Scots girl from the Shetland Islands became the youngest ever to win a commonwealth medal.  At 13 years of age, Erraid Davies's moment has made us all proud and stole the hearts of many.  A big well done to all those involved in Glasgow 2104.

High and dry describes the month of July this year.  High temperatures and very dry weather.  I'm ever so glad I replaced the old cumbersome hose with one of those expanding light weight jobs.  It's made a time consuming job far more bearable.  Since bringing it home I've not been without volunteers to water the garden for me.  If only I had known it would be so popular, I'd have bought one sooner! 

End of Month View June 2014
The sea of green in June's End of Month View is in the not so dim and distant past.  When I planned this border back at the beginning of the year - my aim for this bed was two fold, late summer colour and plenty available for the pollinators.   It had been my intent that Helenium Moerheim Beauty would be central to this bed at this time of year.  It's never without wildlife visitors.  We don't see butterflies here until around now, therefore I feel that it's important to have lots of late flowering plants.  The new grass has taken well and looks like it's always been there.  The stone edging has worked well, the lawn mower cuts right over the top. 






I wonder, can you spot the subtle difference between the two shots?   I've had a pot of Leucanthemum Banana Cream sitting around for a while.  It had been destined for a spot in the front garden but I had never got round to planting it in the ground.  I popped it in here too see what difference it makes.  I like it.  I think there needs to be something between the Helenium and the lower growing plants in the front row in bloom at this time.  Had my dwarf yellow daylily flowered it might have made a difference and we shall see what happens when the Sedum flowers in a few weeks .  I moved a decent sized clump of the daylilies here back in spring, perhaps I should have divided it at that time too because if I think back, I'm sure it didn't flower last year either.  They do say that daylilies need to be regularly divided to perform at their best.  A job for spring.              





There will be a void when the Verbena dies, it's not perennial here and I've never found a seedling, despite me letting the plants to go to seed for the last 4 years.  Last years plants, elsewhere in the garden obviously made it through our frost free winter but are rather sorry looking specimens this year.   I need to source a more permanent resident for this spot.  Dotted throughout the border is the later flowering Allium sphaerocephalon.  These Alliums are British natives and are loved by all the pollinators.  They are a lot more reliable in my garden than the larger flowering types.  I shall be planting more of these bulbs in autumn.  The Lupins, I apologise for sounding like a broken record each and every End of Month post - not red, not dwarf and not staying!   A replacement for those will need to be sourced too.

I couldn't resist a close up of the Helenium.  I've just got myself a new phone and am impressed with the camera on it.   The next couple of shots were taken with it's camera.


To the left of the Helenium, you can just make out the flowers of Hydrangea paniculata Pinky Winky.  I like the effect the white flowers have with the red and orange blooms, I hadn't been sure this would work.  As they mature, they will fade to pink and my opinion might just change.  We shall see what happens.  Crocosmia Lucifer is also coming into bloom, still a tiny wee clump and I know from experience it won't take too long to bulk out. 

Hydrangea paniculata Pinky Winky, Helenium Moerheim Beauty
and Crocosmia Lucifer
 
To the rear, the Cardoon, Helianthus Lemon Queen and Verbena bonariensis are just starting to flower.  This is the first time I've grown the perennial sunflower so am rather looking forward to seeing it in full bloom.  At this moment it's smothered with flower buds and a lonely single flower. 

On the top tier, the Clematis montana and Pyracantha I'm using for fence cover are make good ground.  The Pyracantha flowered profusely and should be covered in bright orange berries in autumn.  The Clematis can make it's way along the trellising 'til it's heart's content.   Although you can't make it out from the image, there is a little surprise lurking about up there.  Helene over at Graphicality-UK commented on her summer flowering pink Hellebore in her most recent Bloom Day Post, Helene, you are not alone.  Look what I found on one of my trips up to the very back of the garden.  This plant did flower in the winter, unlike Helene's which chooses only to flower in summer.  Isn't it nice to have a plant flower out of season?    

A 2014 summer oddity!
Weighing up all the positives against the negatives, the scales come down in favour of the positives this month.  The border has filled out well in the few months since it was planted out and although it's not so obvious from the shot, there is plenty of room for most of the plants to fill out over the next few years.  I will find that this meme hosted by Helen over at The Patient Gardeners Weblog extremely useful when it comes to autumn time when I need to do a few tweaks here and there. 

Off now to have a nosy at what's going on in your end of month view.  Thanks for reading.