.

Butterflies

It's been a good while since my last blog.  I'd love to say that I was off visiting some exotic climes but not so!  Due to a family illness, I've had my young nieces to stay for the last 4 week and things have been rather chaotic at times.   Although I do have the girls everyday after school - you soon get out of practice, don't you?  Still, we got through it and they are off home tomorrow - their mum is no longer getting the horrible side affects from the medication and as school term begins next week, they need to get back into a routine.  Me, I'm going back to work for a break!     
   
I will have missed all your summer garden tales, what's looking good and any woes that may have come your way.  With the best will in the world I would love to say I promise to catch up but looking at things from a practical point - I don't want to make promises I can't keep. 

I did manage the odd hour here and there in the garden - I do wonder if the fact that I've spent so little time 'working' in the garden it has allowed me to really enjoy the plants without worrying about what needs doing.  I have been taking lots of pictures with the good intention of blogging at some point but have fallen so far behind in sorting out the good from the bad that I don't know if I'm coming or going!

Talking of comings and goings, there has been an amazing increase in butterfly activity in the garden this year.  Masses of Cabbage White Butterflies (Pieris brassicae and Pieris rapae).  Their courting and flirting antics ever so obvious.  Spiralling onwards and upwards.  They only pass through my garden - Jim, my neighbour, has a massive patch of brassicas growing on his veg plot, this I suspect is the primary destination!







Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais urticae) are another popular butterfly visitor - this is one the UK's most familiar butterflies.  Although a decline in numbers is being recorded in the South.  A very familiar sight in gardens late summer as they build up their fats in preparation for hibernation.




Although a common species in the UK - Red Admiral Butterflies (Vanessa atalanta) is not such a regular visitor to my garden.  Primarily a migrant but are now considered resident to the UK.  Their distinctive velvet black wings with striking red bands make them easily identifiable from afar.


Peacocks (Inachis io) are not so easy to spot until they land.  Often you get a glimpse of their dark underside as it flits past and catches you unaware.  Easy to see how it gets it's common name as those wings spread open.  Found throughout the UK except in the North of Scotland.




Being ever vigilant, I'm always on the look out for new species visiting my garden.

The Meadow Brown (Maniola jurtina) Although common throughout the UK, I've never seen one visit my garden.  It was kind enough to hang around for a quick photo shoot.  They usually prefer a grassy habitat or field margins, even overgrown gardens.  I'm sure I could not describe my garden as over grown despite being a wee bit neglected over the last few weeks.  There are grassy areas near my house, so perhaps it just lost it's way!  I do hope it liked what it found and encourages it's friends to visit.




Please remember to keep your plants in tip top condition this summer - caring for your plants will help maintain a good source of nectar throughout the remainder of summer and into autumn.  Water deeply (if needed) and dead head regularly to encourage more blooms.      

If you live in the UK have you taken part in The Big Butterfly Count?   It runs from the 20th of July through to the 11th of August.  The big butterfly count is a nationwide survey aimed at helping assess the health of our environment. It was launched in 2010 and has rapidly become the world's biggest survey of butterflies. Almost 27,000 people took part in 2012, counting 223,000 individual butterflies and day-flying moths across the UK.  There are 3 days left if you want to submit results.

If you would like more information about butterflies species found in the UK, I can recommend
UK Butterflies.  It's jammed packed full of useful information, in fact everything you could possibly want to know about butterflies!  For gardeners looking to encourage more butterflies into their garden the Butterfly Conservation is a good place to begin.

Can I thank you all for reading and say that it's good to be back!