By far the most prolific bird visitor to my garden at any time of the year is the Sparrow and this year in particular they are visiting in their droves. I have in the past offered very little feed during the summer months but as we got off to a particularly bad start to the spring - I have not withdrawn any food except for suet and fat ball types (they would 'turn' very quickly in the heat we have been experiencing).
A distinct lack of Robins, Tits, finches and a sweet pair of Linnets, that had become regular, means there is more to go around for the sparrows. Blue tits are nesting under the eaves of the house, they are there but only occasionally visit the feeders. A lone male blackbird visits but never hangs around for long. Of course, the Corvids, Magpies and Jackdaws bully their way into everything. I distract them by putting bread and other kitchen scraps out for them before filling the feeders. This seems to provide the smaller birds a bit of peace and quite to enjoy their food.
As I was sitting soaking up the early evening sun - a few young sparrows were finding their way around the garden, a few still being fed by their father and some venturing onto the feeders. I could see that their confidence was growing and pretty soon were hopping around independently.
 |
| "Are you sure I'll be safe?" |
 |
| "I'm not ready yet" |
 |
| "What's for dessert?" |
 |
| "I'm right behind you!" |
Over by the pond........
 |
| "Do you promise I won't fall in" |
 |
| "I'll keep watch!" |
 |
| "Where did everyone go?" |
 |
| "I can't! I forgot my waterwings" |
I'm joining in with Donna over at
Gardens Eye View for the Seasonal Celebration Meme - please join us if you have something to share.