| Snowdrops or Snowdroops |
| Sedum telephium 'Purple Emperor' |
Much to my relief the snow didn't last long but it did not take the bitter cold easterly wind with it. Even now at the end of the month the frosty mornings are a constant. Up here in Scotland we can suffer frosts right up until May but I can't ever remember it being frosty every day!
I took a risk a bit of a risk earlier in the month - too much time on my hands! Idle hands and all that! Most of the containers had their winter protection removed, namely the layers of bubble wrap I use to give extra insulation for the roots. I mostly grow Sedums and Bulbs in containers as I find my soil a bit too moist for them to survive more than a season otherwise. Other pots (non decorative) with various bits and bobs growing were left tucked up against the house walls. So far so good - especially the sedums - all seemed to have survived!
Here in the UK we celebrate Mother's Day in March. As usual my preferred gift of a voucher for my favourite nursery was waiting for me on Mothering Sunday! My purchases were a single bulb of Trillium kurabayashi, 3 Primula aurantiaca, pots of Crocus Jeanne D'arc and 3 bargain pots of Cyclamen Coum. All except the Crocus are now planted in the borders. The Trillium however does not look great. At the cost of £13 for 1 bulb, I'm glad I didn't buy more! As you can see from the picture - the flowers on the Cyclamen were finished but a friend told me to leave the flowers in the hope they will seed. The fact that is now throwing up more flowers is pleasing. Looking a bit messy but you can see the new flowers.Recycling old fish/meat boxes to make them look like stone troughs is a trick many alpine growers do. For tips on how I make these - please take a look at this old post. You can generally pick up these boxes in fishmongers or butchery departments in supermarkets. A very cost effective way to grow alpines - especially if you don't have an alpine bed!
Don't you just love garden gifts, she says with a big grin on her face!
Most of the plants that are flowering were on display for GBBD on the 15th - the only difference is that a couple of more Hellebores have picked up. Crocus are 'springing' up in more places than I remember planting them - but that's good thing, isn't it?
| Corydalis Malkensis and Crocus |
| Galanthus nivalis and Fritillaria meleagris |
![]() |
| A Crocus Smile! |
Are there any Solomon Seal (Polygonatum) growers out there? I am wondering when I should expect to see growth? They were new last year and I expected to see the new growth the same time as the Dicentra and Hostas - but so far nothing!!
This weekend will see my first ever visit to a SRGC show here in Edinburgh - if you are interested in growing bulbs of any sort you could do worse than visit the SRGC Bulb Log. It's full of useful hints, tips and advice - as well as gorgeous pictures!
Thank you for joining me at my look back at March.
