.

Tree Following February 2015 - Sorbus Autumn Spire

As I strolled up the garden to get a couple of shots for this month's I'm Following a Tree post, I knew that there would be little to report.  My wee Rowan Tree looks exactly as it did last month.  

It will be March before there is any signs of growth, despite the fact that the buds look promising, the sap has not risen to fatten them up yet.  I'm willing to bet most of us will be in a similar situation this February.  Last month was the first time I took part in this meme, maybe this month would have been a better time to start joining in.   Still, it's done now, I can't change that, can I?   
       
Sorbus Autumn Spire - February 2015



Had the ground not been so regularly frozen, I'd have risked moving some snowdrops into the bare earth underneath.  There's also a pot of Eranthis waiting to go in too.  The snowdrops should cope with the occasional waterlogging (they do so elsewhere in the garden) but the Eranthis will be a bit of a gamble. 


Tubby the resident back garden Robin came down to see what I was up to.  He's used to me putting out his treats at this time of the day. Not this time Tubby!  You'll need to wait a while until I put the camera way.  


Thinking about how little there would be to write about this February it dawned on me that perhaps some birds would make my post a bit more interesting.  A rummage around in the shed for something small enough to hang, the empty coconut shell would do the job I'm sure.     

Feeder with sunflower hearts

Filled with sunflower hearts, it was light enough to do no damage to those branches twigs.  It didn't take long and within seconds, true to form, the wee blue tits were first to investigate.


   



It took a while before a lone Great Tit got in on the act.  He ventured back and forth between the trellis and the feeder for quite some time.  Savouring every morsel he got, no doubt.  By the end of the day, more of his friends were visiting to.     


  

Tubby, of course, isn't able to perch upon the shell, he has to sit patiently waiting his turn to forage on the ground for the spoils.

   

Thankfully, the squabbling starlings are not interested in this feeder, I'm not sure my wee tree would appreciate the gang of 30+ ascending upon it.  

Thanks for reading and thanks to Lucy for hosting.  There's a link at the top of the post should you like to pop over.