.

I just want to vent!

The wind and rain continues here!  Work on my new project has began but hampered due to the fact that the ground is sodden and I fear that if I continue I will be doing more bad than good. 

I had to make the most of my son's last day off work today - I really need his help to assemble the pergola arch.  I took the notion of making a start and building it in the kitchen.  There is enough room providing nobody wants to eat, that is.   The crate was opened and all pieces accounted for - check!  Hardware - check!  Tools required for assembly - check!  Dustsheets down - check! 

I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to checking and double checking - much to the annoyance of anyone who gets roped into giving me a helping hand.  I was double checking the hardware that came supplied.  I was not impressed - the sheer weight of timber and those smallish screws just didn't seem quite adequate enough.  I've built enough flat pack furniture and the likes in my time to immediately doubt the screws were up for the job.  A debate was had - not really a debate, just Lee listening to me ranting if they were up for it or not.  Against my better judgement - we got started.  Following manufacturers instructions measurements were taken, checked and double checked!  The old adage of 'Measure twice, cut once' is probably the best tip I've ever been given.  Admittedly no cutting involved but the drilling of pilot holes was recommended and as the holes were going through two separate pieces of timber that then needed lined up, the thinner/narrower pieces could prove to be quite unforgiving if mistakes were made.  Therefore, care was taken to get it right first time.

All systems were a go - four pilot holes drilled and lined up perfectly.  So far so good!  My attentions then turned to the skimpy 50mm screws I was being advised to use - those doubts kicked in again!  Another debate - think logically Lee kept telling me!  Maybe once they were all in place they would be up for the job.  The were offered up and as soon as we began - the poor quality of the screws were soon apparent - despite using the recommended type and size of screwdriver, the heads were ruined before they were driven completely in.  It wasn't just me, Lee was having the same problems at his end.  I sourced alternative screws, once which I knew were better quality from the shed and decided to use more than the 4 recommended.  I would space them evenly along the entire length.  Once this task was complete it was time to put the top section on.  As we were hoisting up the side sections - I was still unconvinced that the recommended length of screws would be suffice.  The trellis that was by now attached to the 4 inch posts was still quite flimsy.  I was not happy with it at all.  I could see how the top section would hold it square enough but not how it would aid the trellis to stay secure.

I stood scratching my head, as you do, for a few minutes.  Bolts would have been a better choice of fixings - why didn't they supply bolts?   Knowing that I did not have bolts that would have been large enough to do the job - off I went to the nearest DIY store to source what I needed.  I also decided to buy substitutes for the other screws I had yet to use.  On leaving the store, I was sure I had covered all the bases.

I don't live far from the DIY store, a quick run onto the motorway and 1 junction down - less than 10 minutes from home.  Just as I drove back onto the motorway slip road for my return journey, I was met with a massive tail back!  The 2 mile journey to my exit Junction took me almost an hour and a half!  By the time I got home, it was almost dinner time and the component parts for the arch were still strewn about the kitchen floor!  Of course it would have been far too much to have expected Lee to have thought about clearing up!  He was however, sent up for a takeaway - I was angry, frustrated and rather miffed!

After dinner, we dismantled all we had done and after much consideration - decided to start afresh tomorrow morning when my head was much clearer and I was in a better place!

Don't you just hate it when a plan doesn't come together?