.

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day January 2014

It's mid January and thus far it's been far from a normal winter.  I can count on my one hand how many frosts we've had.  It's difficult not to be lead into a false sense of security but I do try to keep a level head and know they can't be far off.  We've had snow forecast a few times but none has appeared.

I've had time off from Project Privacy in the Garden this week - the new suite for the sitting room is being delivered on Monday and I'm busying myself giving the room a freshen up.  A suite was not planned, neither was the change in colour scheme.  I only painted this room back in August.  What has my new suite got to do with Bloom Day, absolutely nothing!  You are right - I digressed, so apologies.

We are experiencing more daylight now - it always amazes me just how quickly it comes around and the lighter afternoons are far more obvious as the days pass.  It was still light at 4.30 this afternoon.  With the increasing amount of light and the milder weather many of the slumbering perennials are now pushing shoots above the soil.  I've no doubt they'll take a bit of knock in due course!  Spring bulbs are pushing their way skyward, they'll shrug off whatever the weather throws at them.  The first to flower might not be a Snowdrop - this Crocus is way ahead of it's rivals!


Elsewhere in the garden, there is very little in flower and only one Hellebore has fully opened blooms.  Many of the others are full of buds but they remain tightly closed for the time being.


Helleborus orientalis
Jelena - a treat to myself back in December, a reward for being ahead with Christmas preparations!  Still flowering.  It doesn't have a home in the garden yet.  I've whittled possible planting positions down to 2! 
Hamamelis x intermedia Jelena 
As a rule - I tend not to do annuals and especially not pansies or violas.  In my garden they are generally nothing more than slug fodder!   Slug and snail activity has been negligible in the garden this last year I thought I'd given them a go.  A couple of trays of plugs purchased back in October are enjoying the mild weather.


The Mahonia has been in flower for over 3 months now.  It was just beginning to flower back in October.  This is the first year it has flowered for me - proving that plants can and do take 3 years to settle into a garden.  It's been worth the wait - I hope the Camellias are sitting up and taking notice!
Mahonia x media Charity

Primula Francesca just isn't giving up - she has been flowering since last February, admittedly the flowers are a bit limp and may have seen better days but at this time of the year any flower is welcome, right?

Primula Francesca

A pretty little mauve Primula vulgaris has been throwing up the odd flower all year long.  This plant came as a clump lifted from my brother's garden last year. 



Lupin, Geum, Ajuga and Heuchera all throw up a few unseasonal flowers, it's just a pity there are no pollinators around to take advantage.    



left to right: Lupin gallery Blue, Geum Bell Bank, Geum Dingle Apricot, Heuchera Binoche and Ajuga Burgundy Glow

Blooms might not be abundant but taking into consideration it's January I'm pleased to be able to join in this month's Bloom Day Posts.  Carol Over at May Dream Gardens has been hosting Garden Blogger's Bloom Day for 7 years now - this is a great way to record and reference your garden throughout the year.  This is my first ever January post but there are many seasoned, excuse the pun, garden bloggers giving us an insight to what's happening in their particular corner of the world.  Pop over, just as I'm about to and have a nosey around.  All that's left now is to thank Carol for hosting - so Thank you Carol, from a novice Bloom Day participant.